First published: August 28th, 2013

In Spain, the “energy performance label” or energy certificate is now needed

so as to sell a real estate or let it for a long duration (over 4 months)

Energy performance label

In 2002 already, the European Parliament has adopted a directive under which the UE Member States must translate into their national laws the requirement for owners to present an “energy certificate” or energy pass on the occasion of the sale or rental of a building.

In April 2013, the Spanish government approved the Royal Decree 235/2013, implementing the EC Directive 2010/31/EU of the European Parliament approved by the Council on May 19th, and entering into force on June 1st, 2013.

Thus, an already well known rule in many other European countries became a reality in Spain: so as to offer a Spanish real estate for sale or it long duration (over 4 months) letting, the owner must be in a position to exhibit an “energy performance label” (“Certificación Energética de Edificios”).

Unlike some rumors, the obligation to present this document comes into force already when offering the property for sale (for instance in the Spanish real estate INSERT pages) or its letting, not only on signing a contract or on demand. This measure is meant to offer to the public an additional appreciation element.

For this reason, we are grateful to the owners whose properties are displayed on the INSERT Spanish property catalogue to submit this certificate. This will enable us to meet the new legal requirements.

Should the need be, we will direct you to a specialist that we believe to be trustworthy. The cost of this evaluation depends on the size of the object to be appraised, from 50 to 300 euros, approximately.

(an article from Michael Bettenhausen, German publisher of the INSERT catalogue)

BACK to the general informations about Spain